Welcome to A Mother’s Fight, where you will find advice for mothers, from mothers. Being a mum is one of the most rewarding ventures anyone can take on in their lives. However, it is also one of the most demanding full-time jobs anyone can take on and most parents who accept the challenge not only find it incredibly taxing financially but also mentally and emotionally tough. Separation anxiety doesn’t just affect young children but it also affects adults in the early stages of parenthood. This normally comes about when people are thinking about returning to work or it is time for your child to start pre-school.
Going back to work can leave you with feelings of guilt, uncertainty and depression but you can take solace in the fact that the majority of mothers go through this during the first couple of months. This is normally where you need to rely on your support network such as your partner, friends and family to help you to get through this stage. However, if you feel that talking to an external party will help, then we are here to offer support and be a shoulder you can lean on. In the meantime, though, here are a few pointers for you to and some advice for mothers and fathers:-
- If you are like many modern-day families and have decided to marry later after having already had a family, you could get your children involved in this as it will be a great way of bonding with them. Having your daughter choose her bridesmaid dress herself or getting her to help you choose from the best wedding dresses Melbourne has to offer. Alternatively your son could help to choose the cake. Whatever it might be, keeping them involved in your special day will make them feel more a part of your marriage for years to come having been a part of the event itself.
- Carrying a picture of your children, either in your purse or a necklace will give you that feeling of being close to them at all times as you will always be able to take a look at them. You could even take a framed photo into your workplace to put on your desk or hang on the wall or just save a picture of them on your computer’s background.
- Start getting used to saying bye to your children from an early age as this will help both of you prepare for the time when it comes for you to return to work.
- When leaving your children in professional care it is imperative that you ensure that they have the right certificates and qualifications and have completed child care diploma courses to demonstrate that they are competent at the job.
- Getting as much sleep as you can is crucial for keeping you feeling fresh and emotionally strong. It will also help if you try to be as well prepared as possible, so always try to get things organised the night before so you will be able to spend some quality time with your children in the morning before heading out.
- Make a to-do list of all the things which you have been looking forward to doing and try to complete as many of these as possible. Whether it is enjoying the company of your co-workers, taking a stroll in the park on your lunch break or even hitting the gym on your way home.
- Have courage in your convictions and remember that you used to be that self-driven working woman who was a force to be reckoned with in the business world.
- Plan fun activities to do with your children at the weekends such as having family fun days and spending some meaningful time together. One suggestion for this could be to locate the very best jumping castle hire Sydney has to offer which could make your day really enjoyable and memorable.
By doing just a few of these things you will take your mind off the situation and they will help you with separation anxiety. You may also find that by spending this time with your children will make doing the normal daily tasks together even more enjoyable.
Dealing with Separation Anxiety during Your Children’s Adolescence
Feeling stressed and anxious doesn’t just occur when you are preparing to leave your children when they are in their early years. These can be constant emotions which you will experience throughout motherhood and that natural urge to protect will continue even once they have fully grown up. There are some steps which you can take to make sure that you quell any concerns which you might have as well as a few common scenarios which you might have to deal with.
- Education – making sure that your children get the very best education and putting them through good schools will give you security of knowing that they are being provided with the greatest possible tools to help them reach their potential.
- Sport – getting your children active in sports will increase their self-confidence and you will be able to rest assured that they are in a safe environment whilst developing their social skills. It can also be a gateway for you to meet other parents and families with whom you can share your thoughts and relate with one another. Martial arts is a great place to start or another alternative could be running, jogging or cycling all of which are great ways to improve your kids’ health. There are many different styles of bikes to choose from depending on what your children are interested in such as BMX, mountain bikes or trail bikes. Try to find what you are looking for in a bike shop either online or located near to you.
- Holidays & Trips – Whether they are going on their first school trip or they are going on holiday with their friends, you may be left with a sense of fear or panic, however you should look at this period as an opportunity to spend some quality time with your partner and you should make the most of it and renew your bond.
- Driving – Having your child climbing behind the wheel of a car can be a scary process not just for the person sitting in the passenger seat but it can also raise anxiety issues for you as a mother thinking about all of the potential dangers. It is a times like this that you need to rely on your choice of instructors and ask other mums some advice and help them to find you a driving school Sydney mums put their faith in.
- Finances – Find quality mortgage brokers services for your children so that when the relevant time comes and they need to seek the capital to buy a house of their own you know that they will be in the best possible situation.
At the end of the day, there will always be things that concern you and it is all about finding the best ways to deal with them. If you have any questions or you are seeking further consultation, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with us and speak with one of our friendly advisers who specialise in help and advice for mothers.